Committee on Representation
The church has a rich diversity of membership and we thrive when we embrace this diversity. The Committee on Representation creates this opportunity for us by helping us provide for full participation and access to representation in decision-making and employment practices.
If you desire to learn more about our Committee on Represenation, please click on the link at the bottom of this page.
The January 31, 2009 meeting the Presbytery of Susquehanna Valley (PSV) Committee on Representation (COR) approved adapting the General Assembly “Cultural Proficiency” flyer for our presbytery COR mission statement and vision:
“Aim at those things that ring peace and that help strengthen on another.” (Rom. 14:19 TEV)
The Presbytery of Susquehanna Valley COR Mission: To transform the organizational culture to create an open, inclusive, compassionate, and healthy church corporation by promoting cultural proficiency.
Cultural Proficiency is
- A holistic and proactive approach that enables people to respond effectively across dimensions of human diversity;
- Applicable to individual behaviors and organizational processes;
- Diminished by two barriers, the “presumption of entitlement” and an “unawareness of the need to adapt” to human diversity. These barriers are experienced in several ways, including racism, classism, heterosexism, ableism, ageism, and sexism on individual and systemic levels.
- We believe our purpose is to glorify and serve God, and that God’s grace inspires us to bring God’s love, justice and reconciliation into a diverse world.
- We believe we provide a living expression of the gospel when we honor God’s gift of diversity, respecting and encouraging the good in each of us.
- We believe seeking God’s will is integral to our decision-making process.
- We believe employing honesty, integrity and respect in our conversations and interactions with our church members and our presbytery organizations creates and fosters trust.
- We believe working with competence, in consultation and in partnership with others, is the best way to sere those within and outside the Presbytery of Susquehanna Valley.
- We believe we do our best and most productive work when we are encouraged to use our individual gifts, talents and creativity in the achievement of our shared goals and objectives.
- We believe a balanced life, with time for work, leisure and spiritual nurture makes us healthier and more productive members of the Presbytery of Susquehanna Valley.