Cinncinatus History, Mission, and Outreach
Two Cincinnatus churches, the Congregational (founded in 1819) and the Methodist (founded in 1846) merged in 1970 as a united congregation. On July 11, 1971, the merged church became the United Presbyterian Church of Cincinnatus with 179 members. On July 21, 1974 construction began on the present church building on property donated by Edwin Knickerbocker and George and Dolores Leber. The merged congregations contributed and raised money for construction, and loans were obtained from commercial and Presbytery sources. The new church, designed to incorporate stand glass windows and sanctuary furnishings from both merged churches was opened for worship on Christmas Sunday, December 21, 1975.
As servants of God and members of the PC(USA), we are under authority of Scripture, and continually guided by our Confessions. We seek, under the direction of the Holy Spirit, to obey our Lord’s call to be visible witnesses of Jesus Christ, to create and equip members for vital ministry, and to discover and share by word and deed the will of God. Every week we worship God. We share our faith, and are energized by preaching, by music, and by prayer for the week ahead. Adults wrestle with the deep questions of faith and encourage each other to live in God’s way through worship, a variety of classes, committees, social groups, vocal choir, and bell choir.
Our service begins at home. Community service takes many forms – from financial assistance, meeting space, and hands-on volunteers to support the needs of the elderly, young people, recovering alcoholics, the grieving, people with mental and physical challenges, and many others in need. We support Rural Services, an ecumenical out-reach program serving a variety of needs within the community including a food pantry, farmers market, second-hand clothing shop and other support services. We provide a monthly “Dollar Pasta Dinner” for the community and other special meals throughout the year. We sponsor and staff an ecumenical Vacation Bible School each summer which serves between 40 and 75 children from the community.
Sunday Worship is at 9:30 with church-school and child-care provided. Adult Studies are conducted after the worship service. Contact us at (607)683-4404.